Thursday, October 17, 2013

spirits of the material world [or, ways to justify obsessive materialism...]

this is old news; feel free to look away.  Just me being my same old obsessive imaginary self

 these aren't albums I LOVE, just ones I have been known to listen to actively and have highly enjoyed on numerous occasions....I probably won't ever buy these, at least not in the future, I mean...I've owned most of these at one point or another in the past, but not all at once.  If I had money falling into my pockets like some [a lot of] people do, I could snatch these up in one swoop...
also, I'm almost certain there's stuff missing from this list; it's hard to recollect every high point in a almost 20 year span of music listening.  [technically I've listened to music all my life, since I got out of the hospital after birth, maybe even before then b/c I had a skin infection and had to stay a few days after my birth but there may have been some right-sided brain stimulation as a result of whatever elevator music was playing in the hallways of the hospital that treated my skin infection]
Plus, there's the usual discrimination factor; do I put some album I listened to a lot when I was 14 and found myself enjoying at some point in my early-mid 20's on here?  These are not albums I used to enjoy, these are albums I still have room in my heart and mind for and thus wish I could buy.  I actually probably could buy these later, piece by piece as the months by months go on and on, and turn into years, and then I could keep 'em on display in my house that no one visits, but due to financial constraints, I'd probably be better off not buying [again].  Also, I probably WILL NOT buy Manson's ANTICHRIST SUPERSTAR, because the guy's already gotten rich by denouncing God, I do not feel comfortable letting that kind of stuff into my heart and mind.  I'm not for censorship, but that doesn't mean I need to approve of blasphemy on steroids.  Nevertheless, there's times I feel tempted to abandon all notions of spirituality and religion/theology and just embrace the dark side.  For a super-dark album that's more melancholy than depressing, pull up ANTICHRIST SUPERSTAR.  Or if you like being scared by horror movies and aren't too detached from your own spirituality yet aren't too serious about it, you may find time on Halloween night to listen to it.

On to the list:
  1. American Football - s/t
  2. Anberlin - Cities
  3. Armor For Sleep - Dream To Make Believe
  4. Blink 182 - s/t
  5. Brand New - Deja Entendu
  6. Kate Bush - The Whole Story
  7. The Cars - Candy-O
  8. Cartel - Chroma
  9. The Chameleons - Script Of The Bridge
  10. Chicago - Greatest Hits 1982-1989
  11. Phil Collins - Both Sides
  12. Phil Collins - No Jacket Required
  13. The Cranberries - Everybody Else Is Doing It, So Why Can't We?
  14. Crash Test Dummies - God Shuffled His Feet
  15. The Cure - Staring At The Sea: The Singles
  16. Dashboard Confessional - The Places You Have Come To Fear The Most
  17. Death Cab For Cutie - Transatlanticism
  18. Depeche Mode - A Broken Frame
  19. The Fray - How To Save A Life
  20. Frou Frou - Details
  21. Peter Gabriel - s/t #3
  22. Peter Gabriel - Up
  23. Genesis - s/t
  24. Genesis - Invisible Touch
  25. Genesis - Live Over Europe
  26. Genesis - Live/The Way We Walk Vol. 1: The Shorts
  27. Genesis - Live/The Way We Walk Vol. 2: The Longs
  28. The Get Up Kids - Something To Write Home About
  29. The Goo Goo Dolls - A Boy Named Goo
  30. David Gray - White Ladder
  31. Patty Griffin - 1000 Kisses
  32. George Harrison - Cloud 9
  33. Hidden In Plain View - Resolution
  34. Hootie & The Blowfish - Cracked Rear View
  35. Idlewild - The Remote Part
  36. Michael Jackson - Bad
  37. Michael Jackson - Dangerous
  38. Jimmy Eat World - Bleed American
  39. Jimmy Eat World - Futures
  40. Last Winter - The Heart And The Broken Compass
  41. Last Winter - Under The Silver Of Machines
  42. Avril Lavigne - Let Go
  43. Live - Throwing Copper
  44. Aimee Mann - The Forgotten Arm
  45. Marilyn Manson - Antichrist Superstar
  46. Matchbox 20 - Yourself Or Someone Like You
  47. Metallica - Master Of Puppets
  48. Mineral - The Power Of Failing
  49. A Moment's Worth - Start Where You Are
  50. New Radicals - Maybe You've Been Brainwashed, Too
  51. Nickelback - The Best Of, Volume 1
  52. Number One Fan - Compromises
  53. Oingo Boingo - Dark At The End Of The Tunnel
  54. Oingo Boingo - Nothing To Fear
  55. Oingo Boingo - Skeletons In The Closet: The Best Of
  56. Owl City - Ocean Eyes
  57. Paramore - Riot
  58. The Psychedelic Furs - World Outside
  59. R.E.M. - Fables Of The Reconstruction
  60. R.E.M. - Murmur
  61. Rush - Power Windows
  62. Saves The Day - Stay What You Are
  63. Senses Fail - Life Is Not A Waiting Room
  64. Simon & Garfunkel - Bookends
  65. Rick Springfield - Working Class Dog
  66. Starship - Knee Deep In The Hoopla
  67. The Starting Line - Say It Like You Mean It
  68. Taking Back Sunday - Tell All Your Friends
  69. Tears For Fears - Shout: The Very Best Of
  70. Third Eye Blind - s/t
  71. Toad The Wet Sprocket - Pale
  72. Toto - Toto IV
  73. Trespassers William - Having
  74. Various - Teaching Mrs. Tingle soundtrack
  75. Virginwool - Open Heart Surgery
  76. Waking Ashland - Composure
  77. The Wallflowers - Bringing Down The Horse
  78. "Weird Al" Yankovic - Even Worse
  79. The Who - Who's Next
  80. Steve Winwood - Back In The High Life

No comments: