Wednesday, August 20, 2014

The Dark Art of Crime

Martin Scorsese struck me as a protestor of crime until I found out that he chose to participate in directing a movie based on a book by a criminal, that movie being THE WOLF OF WALL STREET (2013).  I mean, maybe I need to repeat that - the movie is a translation of a book written by a criminal.  This person, this criminal, wrote a book.  And Martin Scorsese chose to turn it into a movie?  I realize somebody else probably would have directed it if he hadn't, but it's not like Martin Scorsese is hard up for money.  He gets paid ridiculous sums of money for every movie he makes before it hits the theaters (largely the reason why they usually don't turn a profit), so, really, the guy could retire and it wouldn't kill him.  His mansion or NYC condo should already be paid off, and he should have plenty for food and enough for recreation.  SHUTTER ISLAND (2011) struck me as staggeringly low-key for a Scorsese film, maybe he wanted to shake things up a bit?  I don't know.  Leonardo DiCaprio claimed the film doesn't "condone" the criminal's activity.  That doesn't change the fact that it's based on a book by said criminal.  If Satan ever published a book, the most disgusting, depressing book ever written, someone might feel compelled to make a movie based on it I'm sure.  And they'd be using the same logic Scorsese probably uses to defend making a movie based on The Wolf's book. 
 FYI, I haven't seen the movie.  If you've seen this movie and find anything I said to be false or incorrect, LMK and if all you have to say is "you're wrong" without explanation of any kind, hopefully you know how useless you are as a human being and the pleasure you derive from my desire to rip out your entrails is sufficient for thou.

No comments: