Saturday, August 2, 2014

yep. Just as lame as I remember...

Listening to Mayday Parade's "special edition" of MONSTERS IN THE CLOSET (2013/2014).  Just as lame as I had remembered thinking it was.  It's not horrible, just lacks the power of A LESSON IN ROMANTICS.  ANYWHERE BUT HERE was also good, I got sick of the mechanical peppiness of it after awhile.  ALIR is still good, I actually appreciate it more now than I did when I first bought it, one of my later day purchases from Pmac Music locally [Yo, Eric, schweeip! (that's the sound of spitting....not sure if that was clear...]
anyway.
"Black Cat" is a song I philosophically oppose.  I am reminded of all the pettiness in this world that revolves around "HOLLYWOOD!", and people's uninformed world view that turns actors into celebrities.  And the song revolves around the act of filmmaking...which is basically the song saying "here I am writing this song about you", because movies are part music, and the ones that aren't nobody watches anyway.  From "Ghostbusters", to "Gone With The Wind" to "Avatar", music is THERE.  Of course, that's also why I think "Your Song" by Elton John is downright preposterous.  The entire song does not say a single thing.  It just says he's written a song.  WTH???  Nonetheless, it's Elton John's biggest hit, just as The Beatle's "Paperback Writer" is one of theirs'...yeah, I guess people would rather they write their own song (You can TRyyy!!  AND FAIL!!  Hahahah...."yeah, but still, it's nice to fantasize.....") than pay someone to actually write one for them...on the plus side, all these songs do have a melody that actually was written...and there's no "melody within the melody", although if there was, it would be what I call an extraordinarily interesting piece of music, unless it was a melody someone else wrote combined with an original melody...but I'm not morally opposed to remaking a song...just as long as the remake offers something the original did not.

But anyway...if "Black Cat" opened A LESSON IN ROMANTICS, I'd probably still not have heard the best songs on the album.  "Jamie All Over" is classic emopop though, and just demands the listener to bear with it while "Black Cat" goes by...or you can skip the song, but I find that screws up the flow of the album.  There's a reason why none of the songs on A LESSON IN ROMANTICS are Top 40 hits.  The reason is this: the 11 songs that comprise A LESSON IN ROMANTICS are not individual pieces of songwriting - the entire album is one big song.  If you skip to track #7 ("Walk On Water Or Drown"), the impact is severely lessoned and it gets old quick.  Which I guess is OK if you want to wait and be bored while another semi-great song is finding its' way to you...

Anyway...my mom interrupted me during the writing of this song, so I'm not listening to the CD anymore.  I shouldn't say "CD", it's an ALBUM.  Music album is what it is.  I was streaming it on Sony Music Unlimited.  I got to hear Johnny Craig's new project Slaves' debut THROUGH ART WE ARE EQUALS, every bit as good if not better than Emarosa's self titled album from 2010.  I don't appreciate his sacrilegious lyrics though.  One of the song titles is "There Is Only One God And His Name Is Death".  What the heck is that about?  Maybe he's just trying to tease ppl, idk...there's this one Christian band called Oh, Sleeper who distinguish themselves by doing stuff like that, getting people to think deeper...

Anyway.
That's a sign of stupidity right?  Well, BEH!
  Yeah, that's right you better run, I showed you.!  (sorry, I need to take my medicine...)

Um...damn it!

No comments: