Wednesday, November 26, 2014

NO JACKET REQUIRED (1985)

Listening to "Sussudio" by Phil Collins, kickstart track from his Grammy winning album NO JACKET REQUIRED (1985, Atlantic).  Not exactly a powerhouse of emotion or anything remotely similar, actually wears very thin after the first minute or two.  On minute 2 second 39, and counting and I've been feeling sickly empty for the past minute(?).  Stupid song.  Great sound effects, lots of flashy synthy drumNbass.  I rarely find the kind of empty mindedness necessary to appreciate this dumb song.  The album picks up from there, slowly, from track 2 ("Only You Know And I Know"), but none of the tracks really pierce the heart or mind unless you can wrap your mind around the simple joy of "Sussudio".  The last three songs on the album are probably my favorites, but, like the opening track, are more style than substance.  Guess it's a matter of preference.  A lot of people might hear a track like "Inside Out" and "We Said Hello Goodbye" and think of them as filler.  The filling track in between those two cookies, track 10, was a radio hogger ("Take Me Home"), so I doubt most have any problem with it.  Maybe some of the younger generation might....folks who were raised on Limp Bizkit and/or Lady Gaga...I've read several comments on Amazon customer submitted reviews from parents noting their kids found fault with the production quality of a lot of '80's music.  When my high school chum from 1999 and I were reflecting on 80's music, he noted the technology was obviously lacking in a lot of it.  I only really notice it when on Pandora, shuffling through various songs from various decades.  You hear 1985 Phil Collins, then 2000(Y2K) Vertical Horizon and then 2010 One Republic and so on it kinda becomes obvious the amount of tape hiss or whatever present in those 80's songs.
Anyway, I've gotten distracted from the CD typing this.  I've heard this CD about half a million times, so it's not like I'm missing out on anything.  I don't even know why I tried listening to this.  I always do this!!!!

No comments: