Saturday, November 4, 2017

EVEN WORSE -- it could be worse...

This CD I ordered in late Sept finally arrived today(!).  I had to replace the jewel case b/c someone had written all over it.  Thankfully the irreplaceable components - the disc & cover-art - are perfectly fine.  I haven't listened to it, but the disc surface where the graphics are looks OK.  I didn't look at the data side.  I don't know when I'll listen to it.  It's called EVEN WORSE by Weird Al Yankovic.  It's a staple from my preteenage days during the final years of my tenure in Monterrey Bay Area, CA (June 1995-June 1997).  It's a West German import.  It goes for like $10 on Discogs, supposedly.  The graphics on the disc look a lot different than those of the domestic pressings.  That edition was the cheapest one I could find on Amazon or anywhere else for that matter.  The seller had refunded my purchase in mid Oct, 3 weeks after they shipped it.  I do usually receive packages coming from the U.K. in about 2 weeks.  This was not a typical situation.  I don't even think shipments from Australia usually take this long and that's as far away from the U.S. as you can get.  It's almost dizzying to think about how isolated they are from the rest of the globe.  But I haven't ordered anything from there recently.  I did order something from Japan a couple years ago and it took what seemed at the time to be a mind numbing amount of time.  It was something like 6 weeks at least, I think...
Got some Airborne that I ordered from a seller on Amazon as well.  Found a triple pack for $10 and some coins (30 effervescent tablets -- they usually retail for like $6 or more for just 10 tablets).
My nose has been running like crazy.  I finally remembered midday yesterday that me and my mom had been talking about how asthma tends to cause mucus buildup.  So I took my rescue inhaler twice yesterday as well as my Advair.  This morning I just used Advair b/c my doctor told me I'm not supposed to use the rescue inhaler any more than a couple times a week if that (this was indeed news to me...maybe it's news to everyone and I just didn't get the memo the same time as CBS This Morning viewers did...I do remember there was something similar on the news about Tylenol, saying that it's actually harmful to your health to be taking it long term for days in a row.  I don't know if that was a PSA or actual NEWS...sometimes I hear "a new study was conducted..." and often the study and its findings are the same as something that was talked about just a few years before.
Anyway...
I really do need to either get a flu shot REAL soon or try to take more Airborne if I can.  If I do have the flu already, a flu shot might not come in handy.  I went to the movies with a guy from church yesterday ------ first movie I'd seen in theaters since the 2016 GHOSTBUSTERS film; I guess I should have written about that first ------ and on the way to the theater he said the flu can take up to 30 days to manifest.  So it's possible I could get a flu shot and still spread the flu.  But I do need to take whatever action I can today and every other day.  My mom gets so tired after babysitting my nephew that she really doesn't have time to do a whole lot.  She volunteered to operate the computer at the church today for some kind of community service they're hosting, and she'll probably be pooped when she gets home from that too.  I wonder if she'll be up for church tomorrow.  We'll see.  I did miss one church service 3 Sundays back, I think.  I don't think I missed the week before last.  But..actually...I might have missed the church service 2 Sundays back...I'm not sure.  It did seem like we successfully attended two weeks in a row...which I know we did, but I mean, it seems like...idk...I'd have to find some other way to verify it.  My memory is a jumbled mess when it comes to tying two pieces of history together.  If two or three things are indeed linked in one moment in time, I can recall, unless it's something that didn't phase me much or for whatever other reason just *don't remember*.  I don't remember everything, but the things I do remember I remember in a good amount of detail.
I used to get these large twinges of emotion when hearing Genesis' "Throwing It All Away".  I used to get this feeling when driving into Seaside, CA, the town over from Ft. Ord, there was this bridge of sorts that linked the two towns together and I used to see a K-Mart sign that for some reason really fascinated and excited me, hanging on the K-Mart (of all places!).  It's been a good long time since that song has elicited that kind of reaction.  I used to listen to it on tape in the group home where I stayed for a couple years between the age of 9 and 11.
  It was weird hearing it on vinyl on that cheap record player combo audio system I got from Fingerhut while living on my own which I did for 5 years.  I could almost feel what I felt listening to that album in the trailer park in Ft. Ord, CA, before we had to move once my mom filed the divorce papers at my father's request (he couldn't file them himself b/c he was overseas in Korea).  idk...I guess that makes sense.  My father was a bit of an audiophile.  I wish I could afford to be.  In any case; a vinyl LP played on a $100 turntable probably would sound better than a CD played on a $100 CD player.  As my mom pointed out, the space on a vinyl LP is much bigger.  A CD is a much smaller disc, and thus the audio on it needs to be squeezed to fit on there.  There's probably other factors too.  INVISIBLE TOUCH was digitally mastered, but it was recorded with analog equipment.  A digitally recorded piece of music naturally would sound better on a digital device, but if you're listening to digitally recorded music on a cheap ass pair of speakers, it really doesn't make any difference either way.  My computer sound card is OK.  My headphones are reasonable quality.  Rush's POWER WINDOWS probably sounds about as good as I'm likely to hear it on my LG blu ray player using KOSS over the ear headphones (can't remember the model #.  They cost me almost $40 on Overstock.com).
But that still doesn't explain why I felt that way listening to it on tape and haven't felt that way since returning to CDs (for some dumb reason I got rid of the turntable combo audio system).  I think it's mainly desensitization.  I've listened to the album too many times.  It's routine to hear it.  I've inserted routine in a place where routine should not go (oooh!).

No comments: