Saturday, November 4, 2017

LET THERE BE LIGHT (2017)

I saw LET THERE BE LIGHT (2017) yesterday with an emerging friend from church.  He paid for my ticket and my lunch.  I like him already (hehe).
It was a good movie.  Not a staggering achievement of any kind, but it was pretty interesting and me being the sentimental type did shed half a pound of water weight (I wish!  I probably gained at least that much just from lunch --- and I had dinner too!  Ugh!)
I was a little confused as to the whole "LTBL" campaign featured in the movie.  What was it supposed to accomplish exactly?  If I understood that part of the movie, I might have been able to enjoy it a little more.  Fortunately there were other things going on in the movie.  I think the way the main character dealt with his wife's cancer situation vs. the way he dealt with his son's death initially spoke volumes about his internal transformation.  I told the friend who paid my entry that I was a little dismayed that the movie focused on a fictitious example of faith in Christ transforming people into a better being, and noted C.S. Lewis as an example that came to mind, and he actually did not realize that C.S. Lewis had been an atheist at any time in his life.  I guess I assumed this was common knowledge.  There was a movie -- actually a couple movies dealt with this subject, I don't know if they both have the same title -- called SHADOWLANDS that covers a specific time in C.S. Lewis' life when he had met someone who he fell in love with and she had died of cancer or something not long after they'd fallen in love.  The two people were conversing early on in the movie.  I got the impression that the woman was fairly new to Christianity while C.S. Lewis had been at it for awhile by that point.  He mentioned that he used to be an atheist.  But I guess that movie wasn't a wild commercial success.  I hadn't even heard of it until almost a decade after it was released and that was coincidence, more or less.  I read about it while flipping through the pages of VIDEOHOUND (the 1999 edition -- not to be confused with the 1999th edition...).  My mom somehow got the idea that the movie was intended to "bring down" C.S. Lewis.  I have no idea where she got that idea.

Anyway...

She should be home soon...Hopefully I'll be headed to Starbucks not too long from now.  They already have my favorite -- gingerbread - egg nogg latte!  It's an egg nogg latte with gingerbread syrup.  I had one ON Nov. 1st.  It was A-MA-ZING!!!  Loved it.  Hopefully it's as good today, or at least close.

I do need to go a little easy on it.  A venti (20 oz.) has 1.5 grams of TRANS FAT in it(!!!).  I don't plan on buying more than 4 this month.  Hopefully that's going easy enough......
I did get some actual egg nogg from WalMart in mid-late October.  It was that Mayfield brand.  I could not believe how limp it tasted.  I would have much preferred getting light egg nogg by a different company or "holiday" nogg or whatever...

Take care everyone, whoever y'all are.

No comments: