Tuesday, November 14, 2017

free foating full turso

I've been in my mind thinking I want to own BATMAN RETURNS (again, yes...urg).
Why?
No, it's not because the first 5-10 minutes are so compelling.
No, it's not because it gets rediculously stupid after that and then dips up and down and almost causes drowsiness by the halfway mark
It's because of this one scene that moved me.  It was where The Penguin lies to his right hand man Max Schreck (played by Christopher Walken) and says "I didn't say that".  Then Batman, via his mysterious implementation of technology, continuously replays this recording in the ear range of the news reporters of The Penguin saying some derogatory things about his constituents.
And Max Schreck starts to walk away.  The Penguin looks over at him and Max gives this kind of "I don't know how to help you" look and shrugs.
At that point, the Penguin starts firing his umbrella gun thingy and pushes through the crowd and runs from the cops and jumps back in the river at the spot where his parents dumped him as a wee toddler.
It's weird tho.  We're supposed to feel sympathy for The Penguin b/c he was orphaned, but why?
I guess I've always been so prone to be alone, especially when I was younger.  I don't like being utterly alone per se, but the image of The Penguin sitting in a cage where his parents couldn't see his face never strikes me as being cruelty.  It's not until I start writing this that it occurs to me perhaps the reason he ate that cat (alive no less) was an act of rebellion for the way his parents treated him.  And just like a cat that scratches the furniture a few too many times, The Penguin was dumped into the river.  I guess that line from Max Schrecck was possibly accurate.  "Says the man with the silver spoon.  If his parents hadn't 86'd him, you two may have been buddies in prep school" (not an exact quote; kinda scary if it is given how long it's been since I've watched that particular scene in the movie; I watched about [the first] 20 minutes of the movie on Hulu over a month ago).  Or at least the screenwriters thought so.  Although not much of a backstory is given to Batman in the Tim Burton movies, even in in BATMAN BEGINS film, you see the good nature of Thomas Wayne, Batman's father having minimal impact on Bruce Wayne's decayed psyche.  Bruce Wayne was almost as steeped in a state of bloodlust as The Penguin was until his childhood friend tried to remind him of where he came from and who his father would have wanted him to be.  The Penguin's father didn't want him to be anything.  If he had wanted him to be anything, it would have been a stuck up snob out for selfish gains.

anyway.
So yeah.  Probably won't buy that movie.  Can take that off the list.

No comments: