Thursday, May 22, 2008

hunger strike

I'm listening to Temple Of The Dog's "Hunger Strike", which gets/was-getting heavy rotation on RAGE 103.7 here in Cape Girardeau (ok, the song just ended..."Linger" by The Cranberries is now playing on my 7-song Rhapsody playlist...); that song is SOOO atmospheric! It, to me, defines the early 90's, bringing to mind images from films like DRUGSTORE COWBOY and SINGLES (both starring Matt Dillion, BTW; what's up with that?) and all kinds of...idk; that cover art for Pearl Jam's VS. would go well with that song; and Pearl Jam were part of "The Seattle movement" or whatever, in case you don't get the connection. Oh, did I make it clear that "Hunger Strike" is atmospheric in a kind of Seattle-ish way? I know this is like an urban legend, I know grunge and related music styles didn't birth in Seattle, but it seemed like a lot of people at least used to think it did; people may have gotten more knowledgable, idk...but Seattle, to me, is like the definitive town for all things alternative. "Brick" by Ben Folds is now playing on my 7-song-Rhapsody-playlist and even that reminds me of Seattle in the early 90's, even though the song was more like late 90's and I don't think the band originated in Seattle...I think you know what I mean though...maybe it's the rain people always speak of in relation to Seattle combined with all the Nirvana-ish happenings...actually, I think that's prolly it.
I'm kind of a melancholly person, in case you haven't guessed. Lately, I've been feeling more depressed than melancholly, and I can now see a distinguished difference between the two. But I like feeling melancholly. I swear, "Hunger Strike" is so definitive of all things melancholly, it's like a happy song - ! Ok, maybe that's an overstatement...

No comments: