Thursday, May 29, 2008

i can't believe its true

Well, I'm pretty sure I told you all (yeah, there's just so many of you, I know...) that I sold my First Japanese pressing of INVISIBLE TOUCH by Genesis. It hasn't been a big departing, 'cause I have a cassette of it that suits me fine mostly, but I do wish I had kept the copy I had before I went ahead and sold the 1stJP...I managed to get the "other" Japanese pressing sold (locally...) about a few hours before the 1stJP came in the mail...
pardon me if I get off track a little, but I think this is a little bit interesting: Japanese CDs are known for their superior sound quality, but the USA used to pay Japan to make CDs before the USA started manufacturing CDs them/our-selves...and if the Japanese make better CDs than the USA, that obviously means that USA CDs are inferior to Japanese CDs...the REASON Japanese CDs sound better is b/c the Japanese take pride in their work; Americans don't. The Japanese will spend more $ to make better sounding CDs so they can show off their legacy to the world (or something like that...). Americans just want as much money as they can get their hands on, even if it's impossible for them to spend it all before they/we die...and then their kids inherit it and don't appreciate it one bit. But anyway...my point is that the ink on the disc itself says it was "made in Japan", but it was sold/distributed in the USA; you can know this b/c the cover art reflects the record company as Atlantic, whereas the copyright holder of Genesis' music overseas is not Atlantic, but rather Virgin. The FIRST Japanese press I had as well as a UK pressing of Genesis' 2nd CD (TRESPASS, from 1970) both state Virgin Records on their cover art. So, to sum it up, the Non 1st-JP of INVISIBLE TOUCH doesn't sound as good as the 1st-JP b/c the making of was paid for by the USA, since the USA did not yet have manufacturing plants for CDS set up yet...

But anyway...on MY system (which isn't really a "system" per say, just a DVD player hooked up to a analog TV) both copies sound the same, 'cause my system is worthless to any audiophile. The small details on the USA-Japan pressing don't show up at all, I would think the Japanese (first) pressing would reveal at least SOME of the sounds I never hear on the USA-Japan press, but I thought wrong. I guess that's what I get for assuming stuff about something I know virtually nothing about (i.e.: technology/science).

And since I sold the USA-Japan press, I am, after all, left with just a cassette...I would like to get a shelf system, since to get my DVD player to function as a CD player of any quality, I'd need at least by speakers, which may be all I would need, but the fact that I'm not sure of that shows how little I know about electronics and how far I need to stay away from things like hooking components to each other and stuff...a mini HI-FI system is A LOT safer and easier to use...and you can get much better sound from one of those than a DVD player with no speakers...well...maybe if I had an HDTV, my CDS would sound better, but I don't have $600+ to spend on one of those and a mini HI-FI system is about $100-150; that's like 4 x less the price...and I'll need to save up for a MHFS anyway, so HELL NO to paying for a nother TV...

ok...I just now got to the tip of the ice berg about the reason I'm writing this...hold on, we're over halfway done...I just made a reference to wanting to buy a min-HIFI system...THAT'S (sorta) why I'm writing this...

I HAVE FOUR (4) CDS!! Well, maybe 6...and I'm totally lost as to what to add to that group. The TOP thing I know of to add is a GENESIS CD. But I'm not a FAN of Genesis, I don't drool over most of their music, but even though I just sold my unpteen millionth copy of INVISIBLE TOUCH, that CD is MY ("ANTI"-) DRUG!! I turn to it even when I'm not in the mood to listen to it and I go "argh!" like I just swallowed something nasty, but that CD has been in my life ever since I can remember, and as I got older and had a hard time dealing with my circumstances, that CD was something from an easier time that I could cling to, and after listening to it from the age of 3-9, repeatedly, it's like INGRAINED in my head (like a fungus some might say...).

But seriously; what's with this? I used to make up excuses/reasons to sell stuff that I sorta knew I was going to re-buy later, but lately it just seems like even though I actually HAVE/had reasons to sell INVISIBLE TOUCH, it just sickens me...this will be the FOURTH TIME I bought that ridiculous slice of silliness...and the reasons I had for selling the other three were not *GREAT* reasons anyway; I should have kept the previous copies until I KNEW they were no longer going to be needed...I swear, I had made up my mind to keep this one copy of INVISIBLE TOUCH that I had and had even kept it for awhile (several months...) proving my will to KEEP it, but then I sold it before I even PAID for a replacement/upgrade...then I went back to the eBay listing I was "legally obligated to pay for", and noticed their grading of the item was different than what I interpreted it as when I had first read it...(the wording was kind of jumbled looking to my eyes, since I have astigmatism but for some reason I bid'd on it anyway and then sold the copy I already had ---- MAAHAHAHAHAHAHADNESS!!!!).

I tried to appear logical, and went without a copy of that CD I had betrayed my trust to, but after awhile I knew I had to buy it...so I went ahead and bought one that was like $4.00 including S&H...and then I sold that one...and got another one...and sold that one 'cause, like I said, I assumed I knew at least a little bit about electronics.

Neither of the last two copies I bought should have happened...I DON'T HAVE A "PROPER" CD PLAYER! But now i intend to get one within the next 6 months...of course, after writing this horrendously long draft, I know how dumb it is to be buying another copy of INVISIBLE TOUCH just yet...but still...I'll need to buy another one...yes; ANOTHER one...I swear, I'm not kidding, I've bought that CD AT LEAST 15 times...the first 11+ times I bought it, it was b/c I "wanted" it...after two years or almost of being closer to sane/smart, it's hard to know/remember what kind of logic I was using when I thought "this CD isn't worth keeping; I'm gonna sell it"; honestly, it just doesn't make sense to me! MY OWN THOUGHTS don't make sense to me! Maybe this is what maturity is? Have I FINALLY grown out of adolescence?

No comments: