Wednesday, March 18, 2009

my life in art

my CD collection, or; if I had a brain...

Soundtrack - Ghostbusters
the soundtrack to my favorite movie...read on...

The Acacia Strain - Continent
there lies within me a desire to break free from everything; my family, my history, my life in general...the music on this CD I haven't heard, but I read a description of it and, more or less, the idea(s) in this CD reflect that desire to destroy/break free of everything...oh, and if you're more familiar with "underground" music than I am, you may know several or more than one CD that has these concepts smeared throughout it; but these guys get my dollar(s) 'cause I swear they know me!; they hired an artist named Jen Devulge (sp?) to illustrate one of their concert posters; guess what? It features an image of Slimer (the "disgusting blob") eating (destroying) the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man! the symbolism may be purely coincidental, but...I really don't care...


American Football - s/t
simply an amazing CD; evokes emotions that music rarely, if ever, does...
Phil Collins - Both Sides
While GHOSTBUSTERS (and its 1989 sequel) were as intregal to my early childhood as my mother, the art-rock/pop band Genesis, who Phil Collins was the lead singer of from 1976-1995, was probably the aural equivelant during those early years, and around the same time that Phil Collins made his only emotion-focused CD I was being prompted to grow up and say goodbye to everything I loved, everything that gave my life meaning; I was forbidden to watch GHOSTBUSTERS, the macabre was STRICTLY off limits, and music was only handed out in small doses in between a specificly planned out daily schedule, spending my days away from my mother, and being forced to use my brain power for such tedious (and ultimately irrelevent) topics as math and grammer...I now have the freedom to do as I wish, thanx to the "liberal wacko" portion of the gov't, although many years of medication have somehow eroded my emotional capacity.


Genesis - Invisible Touch
this was the CD by Genesis that I was referring to above.
Hidden In Plain View - Resolution
the only CD I can think of that was made anytime recently that has managed to make me feel HAPPY. Most CDs - especially "alternative" CDs - inspire depression and anger. This CD is one golden exception.

Number One Fan - Compromises
if I had a sane parent(s), a decent flow of cash, more than 2 or 3 so-called friends, a brighter mind, an aspiration for financial and social success and the means to achieve those goals, and enough talent, I'd probably take my heart and pour it into a CD like this.

Oingo Boingo - Skeletons In The Closet: The Best Of
the cover - art for this CD a) is and was extremely awesome and b) has been burned-in to my soul, or so it seems after almost 20 years of utter admiration toward it.
Taking Back Sunday - Tell All Your Friends
during my senior year in high school, I felt a overload of emotions relating to what I thought was love for a fellow student ("jail bait", my so-called friend back then said a couple times, since she was a couple years below 18...) and this CD is a) a reminder of the time back then when emo & pop-punk were becoming wildly popular and that year I graduated (2002), my mother bought me digital cable (i.e.: pre-worthless MTV2) and I got to experience the emo & pop-punk explosion in the safety/comfort of my own bedroom.

Toad The Wet Sprocket - Pale
this CD reminds me of foggy mornings and days of white spacous void...the latter of which must have been shortly after we moved from Seaside, CA to Ft. Ord, CA although I don't have any means to verify that...I live in Southeast Missouri now, and it's usually either very hot or very cold...springtime is awesome, and fall is good, but neither one of those seasons seems to last at all long...I do indeed miss California, but I was allergic to cats and dogs when I was living over there, and I no longer am; I have 2 cats and I'd hate to give them up...plus the very reason my mother wanted to get away from California was b/c the cost of living was too darn high. Sure, a Californian on SSI makes about $300 more than a Missourian on SSI, but...oh, I don't know...like I said, the cats are the reason I'm staying...MAYBE when they die, I'll go back...maybe...if I'm not too chicken...

Toto - Toto IV
this CD reminds me of the VERY VERY early days of my childhood, those memories that I'm not even sure I actually remember or if I dreamed or I merely THINK I remember just b/c I saw a photo of it happening when I was 7 or 8, and my imagination back then was expansive enough to have the snapshot transformed into a motion picture...

Trespassers William - Having
flat out amazing. I can't think of a legit way of explaining it.
Virginwool- Open Heart Surgery
as sure as springtime will come and carry me away to indescribably amazing emotional states, this CD will be there, to mark the occasion(s)...

No comments: