Monday, July 1, 2013

Here I go again...on my own...

My Inbox Dollars check came yesterday, and so did my SSI $, so to the bank me & my mother went (she drove me 'cause I'm pathetic in every way).
I bought ONLY A LAD at Sears dot com for $5.20, a logical purchase; first of all, I heard it for the first time almost a decade ago and have listened to it about 100 times since then.  Second, I've never owned it.  Weird right?  I've owned NOTHING TO FEAR off and on over the past 1.5 decades (I first owned it in California circa 1996 and then didn't buy it again until mid-2003-ish?, and then I've bought it 3 or 4? times since then), and didn't want to make owning SKELETONS IN THE CLOSET: THE BEST OF OINGO BOINGO just for show.  It does also have three songs from GOOD FOR YOUR SOUL, but two of them are at the end of the disc, so I'd have to sit there and hold onto the skip button 10x just to hear songs that I'm not wild & crazy about.  But I really don't think it makes any difference.  SKELETONS... is engrained in my consciousness.  The cover-art aside, the experience of listening to it is always intriguing.  I mean, how could it not be?  It's 'Boingo for crying out loud!  Back in '96, I had to decide between ONLY A LAD and NOTHING TO FEAR.  I chose N2F b/c I remembered seeing the album cover when walking through a music store with my mom & dad, alongside SKELETONS...but I did look at the back cover of ONLY A LAD and noticed "Little Girls", the opening track for SKELETONS IN THE CLOSET was also the opening track for ONLY A LAD.  So there's all this history and...the cover-art is forever awesome.

$5.20
That was after apprx an hour (maybe two) of racking my brain trying to figure out how to best spend my remaining $35.  My first instinct is to buy on Amazon, but there's never anything I want bad enough to pay $2 more for what I get at some other online store.  If I had $70 more, it probably wouldn't mean as much to me, but even a $0.50 rebate is enough to encourage me to shop at somehwere other than Amazon.

Thanfully it ended there, as of yesterday.
Today for lunch I enjoyed a very hearty and mildly(?) fattening meal at a cafe in "historic downtown" Cape Girardeau known as Social's.  My mother used her debit card to pay for it all, but I repaid her by paying for ice cream that she seemed to very much want.  That was $10.50.
I also bought some mp3s from TWO-FACED CHARADE by Famous Last Words @ CD Universe, totalling $5.16 - eventually $0.28apprx cash back @ Big Crumbs.
I also bought Blink 182's 2003 self titled CD, for the 5th(?) time.  I asked the seller to cancel about 20mins ago as I type this sentence.  I don't need it, I don't have any use for it.

I keep thinking I need to buy whichever album by Joy Division and/or THE POWER OF FAILING (1996) by Mineral.  Listeners of both albums seem to feel profoundly moved by them.  I'm more apt to an "eh..." response.
There aren't that many albums I feel strongly about and think highly of.
American Football's debut is one of them.  Hidden In Plain View's RESOLUTION is another.  I still feel rather fondly of Oingo Boingo and Idlewild's THE REMOTE PART is spine-tingly in its ability to provoke an emotional response by emotive vocals relaying pieces of profound thoughts mixed in with a bunch of lyrics that I maybe subconsiously understand...maybe...Genesis' music is almost like GHOSTBUSTERS; not the creme de la creme, but I know them inside out.  I feel almost like friends with Tony Banks, always being like "Go Tony! You da man!".  He looks so suave and sophisticated fiddling with his mutilple keyboards on stage, i.e.: LIVE AT WEMBLEY STADIUM fka THE INVISIBLE TOUCH TOUR (the latter being its title when it was on VHS in 1988) and everyone always ignores him b/c his work is more technical and less fireworks (i.e.: he's not a guitarist).
I kinda considered myself an Our Lady Peace fan for awhile.  But they've grown increasingly boring.  I'm pretty much grown out of their late 90's output, 2001's SPIRITUAL MACHINES should have cut into 4/10ths of what it ened up being and just served as an E.P.  GRAVITY is OK, but it's just guitar-noise-pop, with an incredible shrinking effect that occurs the more times it's listened to.  Their HEALTHY IN PARANOID TIMES and BURN BURN were probably their best work, but their last album, CURVE (2012) was stupid AND dull.  The album description on Amazon almost makes me wannna puke; something along the lines of the album being a document about OLP's fight to stay at the foreground of rock music, which is a dramatic way of saying that OLP is basically just in it for the money.  A Skylit Drive isn't what I would call a favorite because none of their albums are my favorite albums and none of their songs even are among my desert island musts, but I do like that I can enjoyably listen to every album they've put out so far.  It's not very often lately that a band can put out 3 consecutive CDs that don't rub me the wrong way or underwhelm the senses.  It wasn't ever that common really, although there have been bands that have done it.  I was really looking forward to Third Eye Blind's 3rd CD, but, even though I've since been able to enjoy it repeatedly, I was very disappointed when I first heard it.  I still haven't fully embraced their 4th album and I guess it's for the best their TBA 5th album is (supposedly) their swansong.

No comments: