Thursday, April 9, 2015

Yesterday's News


I WROTE THIS 4/9 AT MIDNIGHT ROUGHLY, BUT MY INTERNET WAS ACTING UP SO I COULDN'T POST IT.  HERE IT IS.

I just saw INTERSTELLAR.  It was a good accomplishment, not overtly boring, mostly not at all, very little if any technical or philosophical qualms...It was pretty straight forward, but that's about as far as I can come to saying anything bad about it.  It's definitely an artistic work, not some hacked together mess...

I saw it down in my room, alone.  I might be wrong, but I don't think I'd accomplished that since I saw WHITE BIRD IN A BLIZZARD off of Amazon Instant Video back in September of 2014.  WHAT THE HELL!??  That was 8 months ago!!!!

Anyway.  Which one is better you ask?  I don't know.  Gregg Araki has always had such a different style than other filmmakers.  His movies are almost like cartoons except their live action and they deal with real life issues without making them into jokes.  INTERSTELLAR is more like traditional Hollywood filmmaking.  I'd say as far as quality goes, INTERSTELLAR is slightly better, but maybe that's b/c I thought the ending for WHITE BIRD IN A BLIZZARD was a little contradictory (the main character is presented voice over style saying something that I interpreted as her missing her mother.  I guess between my emotional numbness and my lack of experience with loss, I don't have any way of relating to that...the biggest death I've experienced was my cat Napoleon.  I never had to forgive him for any evildoing... he was almost like my sidekick.  And he was a cat.  so...anyway).

Wow.  I felt almost jaw dropp'd coming upstairs after a 2 hr 45 minute viewing.  Oh - I viewed it one sitting.  BOOYAH!  That's like - wowowow!  It's weird enough I finished the movie, but...WOOM!

Anyway.  Next on my "must see"(ish) list is A MOST VIOLENT YEAR, which from what I've read seems to stylistically ripoff movies like GOODFELLAS (1990).  I guess I'll see how bad it is in that dept.  It might just have a mild homage-nocity.  I hope it's not to GOODFELLAS what 2014's THE DOUBLE is to ERASERHEAD (1977) and what ONLY GOD FORGIVES is to ERASERHEAD and LOST HIGHWAY combined.  Then there was UNDER THE SKIN, which didn't merely ripoff the stylistic streaks found in David Lynch's movies, but also "borrowed" stylistic elements of Stanley Kubric's 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY (1968).

No comments: