Sunday, April 5, 2015

Funeral For A Friend 2003-2008 + A Ghost In My Room...

("metaphorically, this ghost is you")

Google Play Music Unlimited service is telling me I like Gang Of Four, a rebellious snot nose band from the pre-Joy Division post-punk era.  Yeah.  So they recommend me all these other decrepit self righteous bands to listen to, most of which are already vehemently worshipped by several boatloads of equally self-righteous fans.  All because I didn't push the "stop" button when ENTERTAINMENT! (1979) was being played back on their site.  Yeah.  So, I have to vehemently HATE anything I don't LOVE or Like in order for me to not like it.  What about GOF's music is so indisputably awesome to warrant a "don't give a f**k" category?  Maybe if I wasn't the introverted observer, I'd be compelled to get out of my chair and dance when GoF is presented, but I'm not the outgoing type.  That's all there is to it.  Is being an introvert so damn unusual?
They also recommend some bands that I actually used to like.  Funeral For A Friend took a lot of flack on a few occasions through their career for their "lack of screaming", the most shallow empty-hearted criticism I can think of for a song/album, but what's even more confusing about that criticism is their breakthrough - the one that started it all - was an extremely melodic album.  It was the most heartfelt, semi-mellow album the guys did ever.  It was atmospheric/layered, smooth, and soothing.  Nothing about it was wild & crazy.  Yeah, there was some screaming vocals.  I don't know why all the emo/metalcore bands feel the need to throw that in.  But that's how its done.  I don't care.  If the music backing it up were equally obnoxious, I'd be compelled to burn it at the stake.  In FFAF's case, it's compelling through and through.  The production on their 2005 follow-up HOURS was very cardboard sounding, but the melodies were mostly spot on, although they don't resound with me as much these days, I'm not entirely sure why.  I guess it's mostly a case of beenthere/donethat, but anyway...I wasn't impressed with their attempt at epic pop/rock, although I haven't listened past the first 2 or 3 songs...MEMORY AND HUMANITY, #4, was really good.  Since then the band has just been churning out music for the sake of it without anything important or worthwhile to offer its listeners. 
Mayday Parade is OK, their career took a bit of a hilly road after Jason Lancaster left; A LESSON IN ROMANTICS remains their defining moment, with their newest MONSTERS IN THE CLOSET as close a runner up as they've mustered without the aid of backup songwriters as provided on their sole major label offering (ANYWHERE BUT HERE) (so far).
There's literally nothing on my whatever the hell it's called page (home?  "Listen Now?") to pique my interest.  THERE'S GOT to be a better way of recommending music based on past listens.  I mean, where's the recommendations based on my listening ("liking") of SUMMER BONES, the newest album by poppunk band Hit The Lights?  That album I've actually listened to repeatedly, although I haven't listened to it in its entirely more than a few times and the first 2 or 3 times I listened to it through & through was on Sony Music Unlimited b4 it went 100% defunct on March 29th.  And what about THROUGH ART WE ARE EQUALS by Slaves?  I don't know if I ever listened to it via Google Play Music Unlimited, but I know I like it.  And instead of recommending all these has been bands, why not that one?  A Skylit Drive and Breaking Benjamin have new music available.  Where's those recommendations?  Granted, I'm getting bored with ASLD and I'm getting the feeling that's not likely to change for any significant length of time, but nonetheless...tons of music, some of it fairly new, none of it featured/recommended on GPM.........OH, THE HORROR!  Granted, if I had a normal life, i.e.: job, social life etc., it probably wouldn't be so urgent...but that's another post...OK, post #2 (haha),....I was thinking about applying for a job at The Salvation Army tomorrow.  Damn getting something .002 accomplished has taken a nightmare's worth of time...I turned on the computer over an hour ago, finally have a semi-large blogpost typed out.  Since I haven't been switching tabs (what ARE tabs for exactly?), my experience (typing this) on the computer has been more or less depleted of headache.
This is Easter.  My small group is taking the week off of THE STORY.  We'll reconvene April 12th and begin where we left off.  I need to get INTERSTELLAR watched.  Or else......If I get it watched in its entirety before close today, I can return it and get $2 on my account to spend on another movie rental(s).  If I feel the need to stop it, I might have to ponder the whys and wherefores and decide the logistics of resuming...if I can't get all that done before Hastings closes, then I guess that's that...I rented it for a discounted price since I had a coupon (2 rentals for $0.99 each).  The other movie I rented was THE HOBBIT PART III, which I have no interest in seeing, but I thought my mother would want to.  She's in the same boat as me, not as anti-social, but at home alone most of the time without a job...and being physically in pain all the time, it's hard for her to find anything to do except watch movies and TV shows.  Anyway...

No comments: