Thursday, November 27, 2008

HOW MANY TIMES...(can I say I'm sorry)

Arg. I DON'T LIKE Sunny Day Real Estate. Their live CD is okay (aren't all live CDs?). Yet I'm consistently drawn toward their CD DIARY (1994). Perhaps 'cause the early/mid 90's were such an awesome time in history that was so recent that I COULD have lived through it, yet I missed out on it, partly 'cause I'm a basket case who wouldn't have been able to really "be there" anyway, and partly 'cause if I WAS "old enough" to experience Woodstock '94 or have gone to a Nirvana concert, my mother wouldn't have let me. Around 1996, my then-therapist, at my request, recorded 6 hours of VH1. Of course, me always having one foot under a rock and another in the clouds, wasn't quite aware how SELDOM VH1 actually played music videos. Luckily, they were having a Fourth of July music video marathon in celebration of the then-upcoming film INDEPENDENCE DAY. Watching that 6 hour tape provided me with a small taste of what I'd missed out on the previous 4-5 years as well as a good portion of the 80's (which I did experience, in my own "special" way...)...and a few years later I met a guy named Brad Jennings who was mostly into roots rock like Better Than Ezra and other bands I don't really care for...(he was also a big Pearl Jam and Radiohead fan - put 6 of each of those 2 artists on a "best of" CD and you'd have a masterpiece; but 6 more songs by each band and you have an OK record...). He also was constantly listening to the radio, so he knew songs I'd never heard OF/heard period, as well as pretty much every other song. He'd see a CD at CD Warehouse (now known as Pmac) and he'd point it out and say "hey, those are the guys that sang [insert any song title by a popular rock/pop artist]".

So even though I wasn't "around" in the early 90's, I do have some idea (however false...) of what it would have been like to catch Sunny Day Real Estate back in 1994 or even 1995...and then there's the critical acclaim they get from just about everybody. And then there's the "emo" factor; they even played SDRE on RAGE 103.7 before they turned into a lame "alternative" (aka alt metal) station and I had no idea what I was listening to at that time...

so here's what I guess you could call my "wannabe cool" list of CDs I want to own, 'cause deep down inside, somewhere I can't reach to scratch, I feel like owning these CDs would make me cool. Of course, if only I could reach to scratch...I'd die of intestinal bleeding...anyway, here it is:

  1. Soundtrack - Ghostbusters
  2. American Football - s/t
  3. Armor For Sleep - Dream To Make Believe
  4. Armor For Sleep - What To Do When You Are Dead
  5. The Beatles - Abbey Road
  6. The Beatles - Let It Be
  7. The Beatles - Magical Mystery Tour
  8. The Beatles - Revolver
  9. The Beatles - Rubber Soul
  10. The Beatles - Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band
  11. Blink 182 - s/t
  12. Cold - Year of The Spider
  13. Phil Collins - No Jacket Required
  14. Crash Test Dummies - God Shuffled His Feet
  15. Dashboard Confessional - The Places You Have Come To Fear The Most
  16. Death Cab For Cutie - We Have The Facts and We're Voting Yes
  17. The Fray - How To Save A Life
  18. Peter Gabriel - Up
  19. Genesis - Genesis Live
  20. Genesis - Live/The Way We Walk Volume Two: The Longs
  21. The Get Up Kids - Four Minute Mile
  22. The Get Up Kids - Something To Write Home About
  23. The Grateful Dead - American Beauty
  24. The Grateful Dead - Blues For Allah
  25. The Grateful Dead - Europe '72
  26. The Grateful Dead - Steal Your Face
  27. The Grateful Dead - Two From The Vault
  28. Guns N' Roses - Use Your Illusion I
  29. Guns N' Roses - Use Your Illusion II
  30. Hawthorne Heights - If Only You Were Lonely
  31. Hidden In Plain View - Resolution
  32. Idlewild - 100 Broken Windows
  33. Michael Jackson - Dangerous
  34. Elton John - Greatest Hits
  35. Joy Division - Closer
  36. KISS - Alive!
  37. Avril Lavigne - The Best Damn Thing
  38. Matchbox 20 - Yourself Or Someone Like You
  39. Meat Loaf - Bat out of Hell
  40. Metallica - Master of Puppets
  41. Nirvana - s/t
  42. Nirvana - Bleach
  43. Nirvana - From The Muddy Banks of The Whiskaw
  44. Nirvana - Incesticide
  45. Nirvana - In Utero
  46. Nirvana - MTV Unplugged In New York
  47. Nirvana - Nevermind
  48. Nirvana - With The Lights Out
  49. Number One Fan - Compromises
  50. Oingo Boingo - Nothing To Fear
  51. Oingo Boingo - Only A Lad
  52. Oingo Boingo - Skeletons In The Closet: The Best Of
  53. Our Lady Peace - Gravity
  54. The Psychedelic Furs - World Outside
  55. R.E.M. - Murmur
  56. R.E.M. - Reckoning
  57. Rush - Power Windows
  58. Saves The Day - Stay What You Are
  59. Senses Fail - Let It Enfold You
  60. Silverstein - When Broken Is Easily Fixed
  61. Soul Asylum - Grave Dancer's Union
  62. The Starting Line - Say It Like You Mean It
  63. Sunny Day Real Estate - Diary
  64. Sunny Day Real Estate - Live
  65. Sunny Day Real Estate - LP2
  66. Taking Back Sunday - Tell All Your Friends
  67. Tonic - Lemon Parade
  68. Vertical Horizon - Everything You Want
  69. Virginwool - Open Heart Surgery
  70. The Wallflowers - Bringing Down The Horse
P.S.: this list also includes CDs I occasionally enjoy, and CDs which have artwork that makes me think think "gotta have it" when I see it...

No comments: