Thursday, December 11, 2008

always something

Man, I've written a lot of lists. I've written a few at least while I was unable to connect to the internet for a day and a half, but I don't see the point of posting them here; any list is incomplete by nature, unless you're dead already, since the future is ongoing and everchanging. New CDs come out every Tuesday, and I don't forsee becoming some old fart who complains about "today's music" anytime soon. Music has always been comprised of some good, a lot of b.s., and a small handful of truly special gifts. Of course, unlike a lot of people, I happen to have an actual opinion of music and a basis for it. It's not based on nostalgia or some ideological standpoint or what my friends think of it. If it moves me, it's good. A lot of people treat artists such as Bjork and Radiohead like they deserve some sort of award for being different, when their music does nothing for me, with the exception of a very small handful of songs. Artists like Nickelback and Fall Out Boy get awards and tons of sales (neither of which impress me or encourage me to buy their music, BTW) and they don't deserve it, although there's probably a bigger handful of their music that moves me, but that can be said of just about any pop-punk/anthem-making artist/band; their music may be good, but it's not GREAT(++).
My lists are mostly based on a mood or a theme anyway. It's difficult to think of even 5 CDS that I feel like I can't live w/o. If I put 1 or 2 on a list, then what's the point? I can't listen to both ALL THE TIME, I'd get bored and then I'd end up even more bitter than I already am. I can definitely think of at least 5 CDs that strongly moved me, but those are the kinds of CDS that moved me more b/c of my current circumstances at the time they happened to be there for me to listen to than the music it/them-selves.
And really, what's the point of having a "CD collection"? It's nothing more than a hobby. If I want music, there's always the radio, even though it offers a highly narrowed selection of music, especially in this town I'm living in. And, of course, INTERNET radio is free and highly available, unless I have my computer off for some reason...

No comments: