Thursday, August 31, 2017

Miley was a punk rocker

Some / many people sure love to hate on these pop icons, emphasizing a lack of originality and citing examples of how simplistic the music is and how it's infested with chemicals rather than being made by hand etccccc
A sentiment I really don't get.  Miley Cyrus, Katy Perry, Justin Bieber, etc., I'm personally not fans of any of those folk.  Their music is not consistently appealing to me and I'm not charmed by the personas into mentally enlarging them into elevated social status.  I don't know how much talent any of them have.  I heard Katy Perry sing on some TV special, I think it was a song by The Beatles, and it was good.  She seems to have a good singing voice, and I liked her album TEENAGE DREAM.  I don't know how much of that album she wrote.  I don't know if there's some other song(s) that have the exact same arrangement of musical notes as "Hummingbird Heartbeat" or "Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F.)".
People seem to think art needs to be original in order to be art.  How many paintings does Picasso himself paint these days?  If someone buys a REPLICA of a Picasso painting, obviously they'd be duped if they paid millions of dollars for it, but is the appeal of Pablo Picasso's ART diminished because somebody else's paint brush expertly imitated it/them?
  This guy that was raving about The Smiths in the comments section of an Amazon.com customer review of THE SMITHS (1984) was lamenting how R.E.M. became less original as time went on, relying on more conventional songwriting methods or something...He says he swore off Phil Collins because he and his Genesis bandmates circa 1987/88 starred in a beer commercial...another peeve that makes no sense to me on any level, although it does seem a bit insensitive to put a song about drug addiction as the soundtrack to a commercial for a beverage that stands out mainly for its ability to transform your mental state for better and worse and also be addictive.  But I'm sure there's a counter argument you can make for that.  I don't know which one Genesis feat. Phil Collins was using in self defense of their own reflection, but one that I can think of off the top of my head is the same one that I used as my logic for not outlawing neo-Nazi & KKK marches in a blogpost from a couple days ago, which is that people are free to think for themselves.  If you like Genesis because of a beer commercial, that's fine, but if you drink beer because you like Genesis and Genesis endorses beer, then you need to do a better job at decision making.  And really, beer is not the problem.  The problem is irresponsibility.  Beer is as much to blame for car crashes and bar fights as smartphones are.  Should smartphones be outlawed?
And this other guy that posts all over Amazon.com's community forums keeps hammering into people's heads that Genesis has more to offer than ABACAB and INVISIBLE TOUCH.  He keeps saying "pop is not an original idea!"  I tried telling him prog rock is also not an original idea.  He tried to counter that by referring to an album that came out in 1969 and saying that since Genesis as a band got their first foot moving toward somewhere in 1970/71 that prog rock was too original.  Key word: WAS.  By 1990/91, what would his excuse be for not doing the same constant nagging about Genesis had they not got tired with the whole prog rock thing and veered toward a more rhythm oriented approach?  Of course, he had no answer.  He responded to some minor side note(s) that I brought up and totally ignored the glaring point that was staring him dead in the eye.
(sigh)

My mom said I'm too negative, that I'm p.o.'d 90% of the time.  she's probably right.  I'm not joyful per se when I'm not pissed off.  I'm like Victor Frankenstein, tinkering with my mind to formulate something new and exciting.......something that much like the flesh that covers the bones of any mammal will wither away to nothing and will ultimately be forgotten about.
Case in point ----------- ^-^^^  Ug.

No comments: