Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Smells Like Art...are we not consumers?

Peter Gabriel - s/t (1980)
Nirvana - In Utero
R.E.M. - Murmur

I saw DRUGSTORE COWBOY shortly before or shortly after I graduated high school in 2002 (spring/summer).  I had seen SINGLES (1992) also starring Matt Dillon, so I always mentally link those films together and DRUGSTORE COWBOY with the arrival of Nirvana's BLEACH (both 1989).  A cursory look at the photos in the dlx ed of BLEACH really brings it home.  DRUGSTORE COWBOY and the photo(s) I remember seeing on the booklet of BLEACH both have that cloudy day haze atmosphere.  I keep thinking of buying DRUGSTORE COWBOY, then I think SINGLES!  Thankfully SINGLES is (finally) being re-issued, not in a keepcase DVD but a full fledged blu ray, which is fair enough.  I still find it odd that of all the movies Warner Home Video converted from snap case to keep case that SINGLES wasn't one of them.
And then I think about re-buying BLEACH by Nirvana.  And everyone knows that BLEACH is Nirvana's least impressive album.  IN UTERO is their magnum opus as most serious music aficionados would agree.  So I have IN UTERO, BLEACH and DRUGSTORE COWBOY in my Amazon dot com shopping cart.  Now that SINGLES is coming to blu ray, albeit not 'til April, I can keep it that way and have SINGLES on pre-order.

In other news, there's a ULTIMATE VISUAL HISTORY of GHOSTBUSTERS and its related stuff coming in Sept, '15.  Cool!!!  It's supposedly only 160 pgs and it's $37 with an MSRP of $50.  Huh?  I don't care.  I'm in.  I was IthiscloseI to buying the TOTAL CONTAINMENT omnibus but decided not to b/c I need to put more attn. on God, and quit wasting my time and money (borderline[?]) worshipping Ghostbusters.  I doubt I'd read TC anyway and if I did, would I really enjoy it?  the UVH on the other hand is the visuality of GHOSTBUSTERS w/ no electricity required.  When the power goes out and never comes back on b/c the economy tanks and the taxpayers are no longer willing to support the "welfare" of welfare check recipients, I won't need a DVD or Blu ray or internet streaming device to see and behold the wondrous images contained in GHOSTBUSTERS and GHOSTBUSTERS II.  If nothing else, a photograph of the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man will be included (oh, my beloved crème...)

No comments: