Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Alan Soble's vision for Skynet (?)

I kept thinking about the phrase I kept hearing as a teenager "Women aren't objects".

I was reading Lauren Mayberry of CHVRCHES' social commentary published in THE GUARDIAN (surprisingly you don't need to pay to read it), and some of the comments and one person used the term "objectification", and I did a web search for the word and according to Wikipedia, the definitions of the term, apparently invented by philosophers, correspond to what I've been taught about how to be nice and treat people respectfully.

For some reason, this quote by Alan Soble was include as an argument for one of the Wikipedia-referenced philosophers:  "The claim that we should treat people as ‘persons’ and not dehumanise them is to reify, is to anthropomorphise humans and consider them more than they are. Do not treat people as objects, we are told. Why not? Because, goes the answer, people qua persons deserve not to be treated as objects. What a nice bit of illusory chauvinism. People are not as grand as we make them out to be, would like them to be, or hope them to be"

I had to do a web search for the definition of "reify" ("Here's your sign").  Anyway; the sentiment makes perfect sense.  However, I don't think a person's utility should be reduced to a sex doll.  I think we all have utility.  We as people, pieces and wholes, have the ability to serve and the right thing to do is to use those abilities.  A world of entirely self serving people is vile.  I admit I'm a lot more self serving than ideally I should be.  I've posted about that in the past.  Anything further would require my psychiatrist's input, which I haven't asked for (she has a heavy Indian accent, which makes it nearly impossible to understand the answers to the questions I do ask her, plus she's very busy and very underpaid.  From a religious standpoint, I don't know if she'd be any help anyway, because her job is to treat illness via RX, not prevent or cure it...).

No comments: