Monday, May 18, 2015

Cameron Crowe has big plans for China

Two pieces of mail I had been expecting to be delivered today have the same status they did two days ago.  They're in St. Louis, which is only a 1.5 hr drive from where I live, so I don't know what the hold up is.  I was thinking maybe today was Memorial Day, even though the bulletin at the church said it was the 23rd or 22nd or something...turns out there is no USPS holiday that falls on today, May 18, 2015.
However, I did find this interesting bit of info...

http://www.usps-holidays.com/p/whe.html

The humor comes at the bottom of the page, where every letter is presented in BOLD.  It makes more sense to wonder if "singles day" is a USPS Holiday than it does to wonder if Cyber Monday is a USPS Holiday...I see that note under the list of USPS observed holidays and I go "WHAT?!".  But then again Black Friday is also on there, which I don't get either...if black Friday had ever been a USPS observed holiday, I could see the USPS trading it out for Cyber Monday, but that would also make no sense since mail men can shop with their smartphones during a lull in the day (or lunch break...) and still get paid.  Seriously, people!  A national day of shopping?  At least Christmas is disguised as being a day to "celebrate Christ's birthday".  Which for avid shoppers I guess was a bit of a downer before the internet came widely available, but now that it's so easy to access the internet, (and more or less affordable), you can drive by boarded up stores AND shop till you drop!  Unless you drop easily, that's not possible for most brick  & mortar stores, btw, since they usually close no later than 10pm.  WalMart and a handful of other retailers regional and otherwise are open 24/7, not quite but almost 365 days a year, but I for one despise WalMart.  They treat their employees like dirt and play dirty to buck the competition.  I don't trust Target infinitely more, now more than ever since that data breach that could have been prevented, but I do trust them somewhat more than WalMart and I've always liked shopping there a lot more than WalMart.
But as I was saying, shopping 'til you drop at a brick & mortar store is for the weak.  Amazon.com's doors are never closed.  (Ditto for WalMart.com and Target.com, fyi...I prefer Amazon over all of 'em, but maybe I'm ignorant of a very good reason not to prefer Amazon over the rest...which wouldn't too terribly surprise me, since I don't really shop from them enough to have been burned by them very many if any times.  I do hear what I perceive to be rather serious complaints about their PRIME shipping plan, which would be extremely worrisome to me if I needed anything to be delivered in two days tops & had signed up for Prime expecting that...)

No comments: