Sunday, April 27, 2008

happy happy joy joy

Well, it's been about a year, give or take a few months, since I was made aware of the prospect of buying (for about the millionth time) INVISIBLE TOUCH (1986) by former-prog-rockers GENESIS. It's been maybe two years (prolly a little less than that, I would think...) since I'd made significant improvement on my ability to KEEP a CD; the copy of INVISIBLE TOUCH that I own now is a regular USA version (original mix, not the 2007 Rhino re-release) and I've had that for about 3 months or so...I bought it b/c I gave up trying to wrestle with the prospect of buying a 1st Japanese pressing of it vs. eating out and doing periodic around-town shopping...my budget is so small, its' really not easy to let go of $30+ just for a CD...I've never even heard INVISIBLE TOUCH in that way, nor have I heard ANY other CD in that context...so for all I know, the sound quality will be insignificant to me.

But backing up a little, I WOULD have had my current copy of INVISIBLE TOUCH by Genesis for more like 1 1/2+ years, but the most previous copy I had, I got rid of b/c I was thinking I was going to get a 1st Japanese press of INVISIBLE TOUCH (I don't remember what the cost was, but at the time, for whatever reason, I felt fine with it...), but then after I won the auction on eBay, I noticed the item description said - in lamen's terms - that the CD and/or its counterpieces were in pathetic condition. Not worth buying period, especially so for $20+ (I can't imagine it having been less than that...).

I think it's interesting how long I went without having that CD after I got rid of my most previous copy. It seems like it was around 6 months, and I thought about buying it again from time to time, but I figured I'd hold out for a 1st Japanese press...but lately it seems they've actually been getting more expensive; either that, or I just don't have as much $ as I used to (there's prolly some bill I have that I didn't use to...although I can't think of what it would be...). So earlier this year I found one for under $5.00, and got it.

Well, thank goodness for family! I FINALLY found a 1st Japanese pressing for UNDER $20!!!! However, I didn't/don't have the $ for it, but my sister bought it for me without even asking me the usual "are you sure it's worth it...are you sure there won't be a better deal that comes along...". Of course, I owe her about $20 (she's not rich, just well positioned...).

I haven't gotten it in the mail yet, so I'll need to verify the reality of this situation...if it turns out the seller was/is honest and the item is in good (enough) condition, I'll probably make a $1 or so off my current copy of INVISIBLE TOUCH. Until then, I don't see the point in getting rid of it...

No comments: