Monday, April 7, 2008

krautrock

I always feel a kind of satisfaction finding out about CDs that were made 30+ years ago that are much loved and admired by a "cult" following...I knew about Tangerine Dream for a long time, since I was about 13 or so, b/c they do the soundtracks for movies every so often (or they used to at least...), so, out of boredom I guess, I ended up searching for them on Rhapsody, and listened to one of their albums titled EXIT (1981), and enjoyed it, so I looked for that on Amazon, put it in my cart, but I noticed a review of that CD which recommended I listen to RUBYCON ("generally regarded" as their best CD), so I listened to that on Rhapsody as well, and enjoyed it, and added it to my Amazon cart, too...well, next thing you know I'm bombarded with CDs by Klaus Schulze, who was a member of Tangerine Dream and apparantly left early on in pursuit of a foray into his own music, which, based on what I've read, is really a foray unto its own...
But anyway...I've been listening to mainstream rock/pop all my life, until the last few years when I discovered Rhapsody and found myself not listening to the radio at all (except online radio...) and now I listen to a lot of stuff, not anything in particular, although I'm fascinated and admiring of the EMO genre. I think it's interesting how emo has been around for over 20 years but hasn't even been "popular" until less than 10 years ago...I also think it's interesting how emo has evolved in its short life span...my intro to emo was Taking Back Sunday and Saves The Day etc.; quite a world out there beyond the surface, ya know?
But despite my obsessions, I find myself with only 8 CDs that I intend to keep (plus 3 others that I'm half-heartedly trying to get rid of and are just kinda sitting on the 'outfield' of my apt so to speak...) and $40 in my budget that has yet to find a purpose. I get $ on the 1st of the month, and it's now the 6th...I swear, if I were 16 and had this $ on me then, I'd blow it ALL on CDs. I'd be like "to hell with soda, MUSIC!!", but these days I find that buying CDs is more of a waste of $ than soda, since I don't usually keep them and I rarely even enjoy them. Some are OK, but what kind of response to having paid $15 for something is "It's OK"??
Maybe I think about things too literally, to the point where I'm just a machine, like any other, untouched by music...there's some songs that get to me, but not very many...and I can't alwasy rely on those songs to speak to me in any significant way...I could put a Mixed CD (CD-R) on repeat, and I'd turn it off by the time track 4 of the 2nd coming ends...
I guess I'm hopeless...i don't know...not sure what the point would be in further elaborating...I suspect it would annoy some...(?)...

No comments: