Monday, April 7, 2008

The Way I Look At The Way We Walk...

I'm expecting a cassette tape (music) in the mail...it's Genesis' "Live/The Way We Walk Volume Two: The Longs"...I remember my Mom had Volume One: The Shorts (the one with all the radio hits...), and I saw V2 at a PayLess DrugStore in Marina, California and was like "woah, what IS this!!?", 'cause on Volume One, the colors were pretty much just gray and black...on Vol. 2, it had the SAME PICTURE except with different colors, which at the time seemed like an explosively potent idea to me...then I got home and listened to it and didn't really know what to make of it...I didn't even know what a "medley" was, and the opening track was a 19+ minute medley of songs from the Peter Gabriel era of Genesis, which at the time was a foreign concept to me...but after awhile, I took a shine to the songs, especially the best-ever-officially-released version of "Home By The Sea/Second Home By The Sea". Of course, I also liked "Domino", which I'd heard before on their INVISIBLE TOUCH album...I have since those days grown accustomed to buying most of my music on CD, since tapes became harder to find locally and weren't that much cheaper in most cases, and now that I do most of my music shopping online, I find that tapes are sometimes even MORE expensive than CDs, which is the case with THE WAY WE WALK VOLUME TWO: THE LONGS...but some things never fully go away; I didn't own this recording on CD originally, when it was new and fresh; I owned it on cassette...that'll never change. And the inner sleeve of the cassette just doesn't look the same as the inner sleeve of the CD...yeah, it's the same pictures, but they're not aligned the same way in the same size and shape(s)...and those were some groovy lookin' photos they put with the music...same with the Volume One, but...different...

Oh, yeah; I'm expecting my mail soon...waitin' on the mailman...any time now, any time...

No comments: