Saturday, April 5, 2008

will anyone care enough about anything 20 yrs from now to buy my Coke bottle on ebay?

I swear, I don't know if it's worth it to keep this 4-pk of 1886 glass Coke bottle replicas I bought at WalMart today...I think back to 1994, when after 2 years of being away from home things began looking up for me, and I get this tingly warm feeling inside, like a big New Year's party...(like the 1999/2000 one, remember?), but then again I've been told time and time again by various sources, some direct and others not so direct, that I'm in a minority of people that, if observed, would give one the impression the world isn't "going to Hell"...in other words, I was raised with love and good sense. My mom tells me that's rare and you'd get the idea others think that by the way people talk sometimes...I don't have much, if any, of a social life, so I can't say much for the rest of the world. the town I live in seems fine for the most part, but, again, my mom says that's rare (Cape Girardeau isn't like "most" towns...or so she says), and I have not much ability to argue with that...I used to live in Central California, but I didn't get out much there...I'd always hear about gangs causing trouble/caos, but I never saw any or much evidence of a statewide/nationwide breakdown in society.
But, according to scientists, children need to play like children in order to develop into adults. And according to the News, they don't, at least not most of them. Kids these days want their parents' electronics. Of course, you'd wonder why...what the heck does an 8 year old need a camcorder for? Granted, genuius' come in varying sizes, but as far as the avg child...seriously...?? Perhaps parents aren't doing enough to give their kids a childhood worth remembering, which comes to the original post. Will anyone give a crap about my replica Coke bottles 20 years from now? Of course, you got your history buffs, but wouldn't a history buff pay an extra sum of $ for the real thing? Really, when you're talking about items made 10 or 20 years ago, the ones who care are the ones who were there, but moved on with their lives and wanna disappear into the past a little bit...(or a lot...).
But maybe not...I can't say I myself am a collector...I don't buy stuff b/c it's "officially" a "collectible"...I don't care about buying useless junk. I sometimes buy Ghostbusters action figures b/c I find them visually appealing and nostalgia-inducing to look at. the sculping of the figures themselves and even the packaging around the figures unopened is a real feast for the neon-driven eye. I also sometimes buy other things I think of as unique to a time frame other than the lame one I live in now.
And YES, the time I live in is lame. It's not just b/c I'M lame...believe me, I was really happy 2 or 3 years ago when there was this new rado station that showed promise for the present and future of music...around 2002-2004 or 2005, music in general seemed to be improving, even the pop(ish) music. Bands like Taking Back Sunday and The Starting Line really made me think things were looking up. Then around 2006, that new radio station started playing less variety and less good music. Suddenly, it's like it's 1998 again, with Godsmack on the "rock" scene and Backstreet Boys on the "pop" side...I know neither of those "artists" are even on the Top 200 these days, but others with just as much blandness have taken their place. These days its Lostprophets and My Chemical Romance etc...then on the pop side, it's I don't even know, 'cause I haven't had to listen to pop radio in so long...I rarely even listen to my local "alternative" station 'cause it's gotten so lame.
Actually, Taking Back Sunday and The Starting Line were just the tip of the ice berg when it came to what I perceive to have been music on the uprise. I can't really explain it, it just seems like music was becoming more of a thing of the soul than a thing of the mind...songs like "Seein' Red" by Unwritten Law and the shout-from-the-heart bubblegum pop of "Complicated" by Avril Lavigne, and the bittersweet "The Game of Love" by Santanna feat. Michelle Branch, and Ben Fold's "Landed"...but it wasn't just the current stuff, it was this radio station (RAGE 103.7 if you wanna know...), it played music I'd missed out on being raised by a mother who feared what would happen to me if I listened to alternative rock music/heavy metal/etc.,;...this station played Vs. era Pearl Jam (think "Dissident"), and TONS of Radiohead (I could prolly fill half a CD of songs I fondly remember hearing by them on R103.7), plus a couple or so Dinosaur Jr. songs ("Feel The Pain" and "Out There" come to mind...), and PJ Harvey's "You Said Something"...they also played songs I don't even know who sang them or the names of 'em...the ones I know the artists/titles I could just go on and on and on with listing them...but now they hardly ever play any of that stuff. I don't know who plays the crud they got on there, but it reminds me of Godsmack and Saliva etc.; it's that macho biker stuff, sounds like men having a pissing contest...even the love songs sound like "outlaw country-rock" or whatever you wanna call that...that stupid song "Lips of an angel" by Hinder(?) and all those Daughtry and Nickelback songs - Nickelback are actually OK, but I don't need to hear them OVER AND OVER AND OVER again, the way Rage 103.7 plays 'em these days. Last I heard, Chad Croger (sp?) had a hit with Santanna, and of course Rage 103.7 is playing that like there's no tomorrow. And Santana is NOT alternative, even if you can classify Chad Croger's usual stuff in that section.
I've gotten off topic, I know, but I think I got the point through with my previous topic...
I hope I can think of more to talk about and post it before blogspot deletes my account...
Later(?)...

No comments: