Friday, April 11, 2008

Hell freezes over...

Well, I've decided to turn in my B&N membership. That lady was such a bloodhound...I hope she or someone like her isn't at the desk when I TRY to return my membership in exchange for a cash refund...I'll be fumbling for excuses/reasons, none of which will be good enough for her/him...as if a "good enough" reason has a damn thing to do with it.

It would be nice to think of myself as a "Barnes & Noble member", but in reality their speciality is BOOKS and I don't like to read. I read 35 pages of the book I bought there, CLOSER by Dennis Cooper and I don't like it. Sure, they have DVDs and CDs, but there's not at all many CDs I wish to own bad enough to pay $15+ for them (or even $10 for that matter), and if you ask me, DVD just perfectly reflects the current state of our economy, not just as of now, but like since...I don't know, I guess it's slowly gotten worse;
Truth is, there's very few if any films that are worthy of these over the top "deluxe editions" that come out once every few months. Films like TITANIC and FIGHT CLUB and BOOGIE NIGHTS have very luxurious packaging in their "special edition" format, but the films are just not worth it. Nither one of those 3 films are perfect and perfection SHOULD be the ideal; if you can't make it perfect, then at least bow your head in respect for the disappointment you create(d) and quit acting like you deserve "red carpet" treatment...of course, SO MANY films are WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY below the quality of those 3 films that to one without a good++++ imagination it would SEEM as if those films ARE perfect, but they're not.
== they fit the main qualifications of "awesome" aka GOOD entertainment, but they ARE NOT perfect. Far above average, yes, NEAR perfect? Maaaaybe...
Of course, music is the most childish thing on the planet, or you would think based on the direction its been taking the last 60+ years. Heck, I even came to the conclusion about a month or so ago that the music of the Backstreet Boys is exactly the kind of music you'd expect to find on a children's program like Seaseme Street; of course, genre-wise, it's different; Seaseme Street, last I checked, has more of a "singer-songwriter" type style to it, whereas the Backstreet Boys is like all dance-pop stuff. the only difference between the qualities of Backstreet Boys music and Big Bird's music is the lyrics; they're obscene! At least they are when you consider who they're being marketed to...well, I guess most of their lyrics are just about love and all that, but why do 6 year olds need to be listening to that? 6 year olds should be daydreaming, not trying to find a soul mate.
I used to think music came from the heart/soul. But the more I listen to music, the farther out I reach into the frontier, the more pointless it sounds. At best, it sounds comedic, but usually it's just noise or weirdness or both for no reason at all. The comedy kicks in when they realize that there IS no point, and they start making fun of that fact and trying to elaborate on it and get a little bit of thought going on...
If I go on any further, I'm prolly gonna start feeling suicidal, so I'm gonna end this here and let you either judge me or come to your own conclusions about how much truth is in what I say...until then...(======)

No comments: