Monday, April 7, 2008

LOST SOULS

I checked out Poppy Z. Brite's LOST SOULS from the library on Saturday. I had bought it from Hastings (see gohastings.com for more info...) awhile ago and got to about page 90...so I just picked up about 10 pages prior to where I had left off to refresh my memory, and am now on page 100. I don't know what to expect in further reading, but so far the book is fantastic!!! I just finished reading a part where this one vampire named Christian had been found out, and had to leave the city of New Orleans to keep from being killed...the last page described a sense of sorrow at having to leave New Orleans, which makes sense to me, based on my understandings, as limited as it may be...correlating to that aspect of the book is a part where this half-human/half-vampire teen (he was like 15 or so...) decided to ditch the town he lived in (I can't remember where exactly that is/was...) and travel in search of something better...I swear, the book at these points is soooo powerful; it just gives me this big scary feeling, not scary in a "horror movie" sense, but scary in the sense of like falling from a cliff, or bungie(?)-jumping...not that I've ever done that, but I can imagine...I don't know, there's times in one's life when their stomach is just tied up in a knot due to anticipation...it's hard to explain...it's not just anticipation...I don't know, reading about people who are courageous enough to leave behind something so intregel to their lives is kinda scary...makes me wonder if I could do that...like just leave behind Cape Girardeau, MO and head for New York or Boston or something...I guess it's a very appealing fantasy that isn't too far out of the realm of possibility. for some reason, my stomach is shivering...when that settles down, I'll probably read more...the intensity from just thinking about it is enough for now!!

No comments: